This is a fast and entertaining 7 day long ride in the wilderness of the Patagonian interior that is combined with a ride along the beaches and over the dunes of the Atlantic coast. You ride on two different properties belonging to a very hospitable Anglo-argentine family. The two groups of horses that you ride during the trip are the best you can find on any private property in Argentina, while the ground is ideal for riding - sandy without holes or stones.
You start riding deep in the bush on a huge estancia that borders one side of a 70km salt pan. The owners have made this an area where wildlife is protected and therefore abundant, living in the wilderness relatively undisturbed. There are maras (Patagonian hares), rheas (Patagonian ostrich) and large herds of guanaco (a type of wild Llama) roaming the open glades, and as many as 80 species of native birds. The horses at this Anglo Argentine estancia are large body Argentine Criollos that are used for cattle wrangling and provide an unforgettable riding experience, being superbly responsive and agile. The bush ride circles the salt pan, and we camp in tents along the way at gaucho puestos (basic cowboy supervision posts). You also will have a go at wrangling cattle during your stay.
After four days of riding in the bush you then transfer to another private estancia belonging to the same family, but located right on the Atlantic coast, ideal for riding on the endless sandy beaches and over the giant sand dunes that front it. There are also wild boar and the little belted armadillo to be seen on occasion. The sea is great for swimming and for fishing should anyone be so inclined. All is space, sea, wind and sand. The horses on this second estancia include some Argentine polo ponies the owners use to play against the local teams, - great for zooming up and down large dunes along the beach! Consequently you should have a good seat and balance!
Ride ItineraryDay 1
At daybreak we meet up with our Anglo-argentine hosts 900km to the South of Buenos Aires and drive with them to a remotely located estancia along dirt tracks. Breakfast at the estancia. Then we try out our horses with a quick introduction to cattle wrangling that gets you accustomed to how they ride in these parts! Welcome dinner. Overnight camp in the estancia grounds.Day 2
Ride along the shore of the salt pan to camp at a puesto named El Carmen. There is a large windmill water tank suitable for a cooling off dip at the end of the day, something much appreciated during the summer when the day temperatures here can sometimes reach 40C+.Day 3
Ride across the salt pan all the way back to the main estancia house. Overnight in the grounds of the estancia.Day 4
Transfer drive to the local town for some local tack and clothing shopping, followed by lunch. You then continue to our next destination, the estancia located near the beach. Try out our new horses with some polo stick and ball practice. Tented camp in the grounds of the estancia.Day 5
A full day's ride along the beach across the enormous dunes. Camp back at the estancia for a second night.Day 6
Ride over the dunes and along the beach to a rustic cabin. Camp very near to the beach by the cabin. This location can be windy.Day 7
Return ride along the beach and across nearby farms to the family estancia. Lunch. Late afternoon drive to the bus station. Return to Buenos Aires overnight by coach.
About this trip
* We reserve the right to change the presented itinerary according to local circumstances
* 7 days in total with 7 days riding or with riding part of the day
* Meeting point: Carmen de Patagones, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
* Bus connections with Fredes Srl., boleteria 101, terminal de omnibuses, Buenos Aires. 10 hours, A$400 one-way (2011)
* Flight connections via Viedma. Then transfer by road.
* Tack: English and Argentine
* English and Spanish speaking guides
* Pace: Moderate to fast with trots and canters
* Level: B
* Weight Limit: 95kg.
* Includes full board, trained horses and English language guiding
* Includes wine, beer and soft drinks
* Includes accommodation in estancias and camps, shared bathrooms with hot showers are available in the estancias (4 nights).
* Meals are based on a meat diet.
* WEATHER: Normally warm to very hot. We do however, recommend taking a warm sweater and a good windproof short jacket in addition to regular clothing, in case of unexpected rains.
* Laundry service is not included
* Towels are not provided
* Bring your own sleeping bag
* International airfare is NOT included with this ride
* INSURANCE is not included, but is strongly recommended in respect of riding injuries and medical cover. Participation is at your own risk.
* No visa entry fees into Argentina are in force for Europeans, but US and Canadian citizens are charged a $100 reciprocal entry fee.
* A booking deposit will be required to hold a place for you.
This ride also exists as the first part of a 2 week multi-location holiday - The Across Patagonia Expedition
|Riding expedition||Argentina||7 Days||Nov - Apr||Level B||5 - 8|
Group price guide per person from 8-2 riders
|8 riders||7 riders||6 riders||5 riders||4 riders||3 riders||2 riders|
Fast riding pace
For more trip dates go to the list of proposed riding dates
, please feel free to request a closed group booking of this ride.